Hillcrest at a glance
Hillcrest, formerly known as the sleepy village in 1969, is situated along the main road from Durban to Pietermaritzburg.
In 1943 the first Hillcrest Health Committee was established, and the total population was 1135. From 1943 – 1971, the population increased to 2799 and in 1996 Hillcrest lost its independent town board status. In 2000, the outer west local council, along with other local councils, was disestablished and were replaced by the single eThekwini municipality encompassing the entire Durban metro area.
Since 1990, Hillcrest has experienced a building boom with the construction of many gated communities and shopping centres